Navbar

aboutwhy redux?generation oneg2-beast erarid-moviesclassics-animatedafajapanese

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Toyworld Hegemon in all his Megatron-y goodness

Due to his unique nature Generation 1 Megatron is very difficult to update. I mean, he turns from the leader of the Decepticons into a handheld gun, which honestly seems kinda stupid. But ever since Generation 2, Megatron has always taken another form whether that be a tank, jet, or tanker truck. Everyone can agree that Optimus Prime has always been and will always be a semi-truck of some sort. But with Megatron it is a different story, no one can really agree on what exactly he should transform into. This also has really affected the G1 updates we have received in the past. The closest we ever got to an actual G1 Megatron was the Nerf-inspired classics Megatron which was a bit of a disappointment, but hey we take what we can get.

Once the Classics line really got going I decided I no longer wanted a green and orange Megatron leading my ranks so I opted to purchase the more color accurate Henkei Megatron in his classic black and grey. Even then the figure didn't really work with the rest of my Classics. Then last year we heard rumblings about a Third Party Megatron called Hegemon which was supposed to be faithfully G1 inspired.



I'd say they succeeded. Never before have we gotten such a solid figure that is a great homage to the original Megatron, not even with the Masterpiece figure which is very fragile and spindly.

Hegemon and G1 Megatron

Hegemon and Henkei Megatron
All the Megatrons!
There really is no comparison to this figure. Toyworld got everything right, proportions, colors, face, everything! And the gun mode is where this figure really shines.

A dead ringer.

No comparison. Thanks but no thanks Nerf!

Even the Masterpiece figure pales in comparison.
Personally I think if Takara is going to redesign the Masterpiece Megatron they should follow the blueprint of Hegemon. The transformation isn't too complicated and everything fits together well. The stock and the shoulder rest are nice additions as well. He also comes with an energy sword and a mace to re-create the battle of Sherman Dam if you wish. My only small complaint is he is slightly too tall for the Classics line, but it is something I can definitely live with.

All he needs now is a Decepticon symbol.

12 comments:

  1. I'm still waiting for Captured Prey to deliver mine. I was OK waiting, but now seeing your post I'm getting antsy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a great figure, I can't believe Captured Prey is taking so long!

      Delete
  2. While I've never been a fan of 3rd party stuff, that is one nice looking figure. How did you get the orange tip off of your MP Megs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My MP Megs never came with an orange tip. I think I ordered him in the first wave before the US started regulating it and I am pretty sure it came from Robot Kingdom who weren't required to use it. There are plenty of resources out there to remove them though if you are looking to though.

      Delete
  3. I can't wait for mine to get in! Mine just shipped out from somewhere in Asia yesterday, but at least it's on the way.

    Also, fun fact I learned from el Twincast podcast: Hegemon's scope is more accurately placed to where it would be on a real P-38 than it is on the G1 toy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's an interesting bit of news. Although I'm not sure I've ever seen an actual P-38 with a scope. Seems like overkill for a German WWII pistol, lol.

      Delete
    2. Another great post!

      I got mine a week ago, picked up from the shops in HK, but had to fly to Japan and ran out of time to post about it. Now, I don't have to! Heh.

      My one complaint I guess, is that the joints, esp the arms, could become very loose.

      Delete
    3. No, please do, it never hurts to have multiple opinions. I see what you mean about the arms. What I've found with the third party items is since they aren't subjected to the rigorous play tests that the official stuff is they usually wear out a lot sooner. A friend of mine transformed his Hercules so much the joints started to wear down and he has a hard time standing up now. I feel like the Third Party stuff is really more to be seen and occasionally played with rather than transformed back and forth a lot. This figure is so much fun though I've had a hard time putting it down.

      Delete
  4. These toys are amazing. Going to buy them :)
    http://101hotgames.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this figure so much. I really couldn't have asked for a better classics Megatron! With a 'Con sigil on his chest he looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Takara/Hasbro is going to have a very, very hard time topping this one. This is why I love the third parties, they give us stuff that the official companies never could.

      Delete
    2. Me too, Ark. Some fans hate 3rd party stuff, but I love it. Obviously Has/Tak can't make ALL of the Transformers, there's WAY too many characters. So for the holes in the collection, I'm happy to pick up 3rd party figures. And seems Has/Tak really didn't hit Megs on the head with the "nerf gun" form, I'm thrilled ToyWorld did. Now Repro labels just needs to get on the ball and make a set for his eyebrows, chest "squiggle" and detailing.

      Delete